Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So Perfect Sewing Tips

Do you like to do your own sewing? Are you happy with the results? Does your garment/item look "homemade?"

I love to sew, and as with anything I do, I want to do the best that I can do. I always try and achieve the highest standard that I can. It may be different than someone else's but at least I know it's my best. After I've spent hours, and many dollars nowadays, creating a garment, I don't want it to resemble, in the slightest way, a homemade item. To me, that means it hasn't been done professionally. There are a few things that I feel are absolutely mandatory in order to achieve a professional-looking garment or product  that looks like it came from one of your favorite shops.

The first thing you need to do after cutting out your pattern is to iron it. It will lay much better. Next, make sure you pin your pieces on the straight of grain, unless indicated otherwise. When cutting, cut where you're supposed to. Don't hack off corners. And DO cut out the notches. You absolutely need those. They are there for a reason.

Once you have everything cut out, use tailor's chalk and tracing paper and mark the darts and any other necessary markings. These include the middle of the sleeve and corners on a collar. It could also be where a zipper stops. And where buttons will be placed.

Now, you're ready to start sewing. Of course before you start, you'll want to make sure you have all the necessary tools. These include, without exception, a measuring tape and straight pins. You also need a sharp pair of scissors. You may want two pairs. One larger pair for trimming corners and seams, and a smaller pair for cutting thread. You will very likely need a seam ripper and these are not all created equal.

I like the larger ones with a very sharp blade. You may also need a seam guide, and a pointed tool for turning corners. And you will definitely need your iron. Some people don't bother much with an iron, but it shows. You will not get the same results if you don't iron each and every seam. A garment that is left to be ironed after it's completed can never be made to look the same as if it had been ironed at each step. This is not up for discussion.

The other thing I consider a must is your pattern instructions. You should read these over before beginning, and you must follow them in the order they are given. It will make your job so much easier.
Another thing you must do is pin. Pin each and every seam. If you don't pin each seam, your pieces won't be even in length, or in width. And if you pin each seam, your hem will be so simple. You'll just have to pin it up the same distance all the way around. But if you don't pin, you'll have a lot of difficulty. Your garment will be as crooked as a ram's horn. So pin.

And you need to iron each and every seam as it is completed. This will also make a difference.
There are optional tools that can make your work easier. For example, a ham for ironing sleeves. And a little tool for making binding. These work great. but the above tools are absolutely necessary. Don't cheat if you want a professional-looking garment. You'll be glad you didn't.

Some items I think you might be interested in.





Fusible pellon is great but it's best to fuse it to the facing, rather than the top collar or outside cuff.







Great for fitting your garments and seeing just how it looks.



The rotary cutter is great for quilts but can also be used on longer pieces, like skirts, pants, etc.



Fiskars is a very good name. I love my Fiskars products.



Great for snipping corners, or cutting your threads.








I haven't used this brand but they look good.



If you're quilting, you need these items. I'm all for making my work as easy as possible.



Another great addition.





If you're really serious about your sewing, you should have a serger. They alone won't make your sewing professional, but if you follow my other tips, along with your serger, you'll be well on your way to professional sewing. I couldn't believe the price of this. I paid about $600 for my Kenmore several years ago.



You might want to consider an embroidery machine if you like fancy work.

I hope you've found my tips helpful and I'd love to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment